Think of it as Lovecraft meets LucasArts: everything hand drawn, frame by frame animation, classic-style gameplay, heavily referencing and spoofing the great cosmic horror author.
Despite being HD, the game is intended to feel like a 90s adventure with a few modern enhancements like autosaving, hotspot revealer etc. Gibbous draws inspiration from HP Lovecraft’s writings, classic Lucas Arts adventures such as Day Of The Tentacle, Monkey Island and Grim Fandango, Hitchcock movies, classic Warner Brother cartoons and Hayao Miyazaki’s richly detailed environment art.
- Classically-inspired point and click adventure game
- Dark yet humorous – think Lovecraft meets Day Of The Tentacle
- Frame-by-frame traditional animation
- Lovingly painted 2d backgrounds inspired by Transylvanian architecture and nature
- Exploration, character and story-driven experience
- Fully voiced
- Unique item combination responses for just about everything, up to six “examine” responses
- Original soundtrack contains different musical themes for almost every screen
- Tentacles, eldritch things one should not speak of, and all kinds of insanity, both cute and evil
The game has been Greenlit on Steam in just 10 days.
Right now, the game is in its early development stage – a vertical slice demo is available.
You can check out demo here:
Here’s a player showcasing: